“I am determined to foster a healthy, safe, and prosperous environment for residents in the City of Wilmington from all walks of life. United We Serve Wilmington is not simply a campaign motto, but the manner in which I plan to govern. It’s my core belief and how I will lead as Council President.”
Councilwoman At-Large Rysheema Dixon is originally from Philadelphia, elected to Wilmington Delaware City Council in January 2017. She graduated in 2009 from University of Delaware with a Bachelor’s degree in Sociology and in 2013 graduated with a Master’s degree in Sustainable Development/International Policy and Management from School for International Training. She resides in Wilmington, Delaware and her motto is “Strong From the Ground Up”.
Rysheema is the Chief Executive Officer & President of RD Innovative Planning. RD Innovative Planning (Plan It. Do It. Community Change Made Possible) is a community development consulting business that she founded in September 2011 after completing her two terms of service in Public Allies Delaware, an AmeriCorps program of the University of Delaware Center for Community Research and Service. RD Innovative Planning is working toward creating a sustainable future for community members of all ages through organizing, projects and events to address their concerns and issues. RD Innovative Planning also advises entrepreneurs on how to start-up a small business and bring their idea to life. RD Innovative Planning is actively invested in social issues including healthcare, nutrition, education and youth development.
RD Innovative Planning is contracted with LEEP Inc., to serve as the Executive Director of Delaware Pathways to Apprenticeship; Outreach Consultant for Energize DE Empowerment Grant, and Project Manager for Wilmington Play Streets on behalf of Christiana Care Health System.
Rysheema serves on several coalitions and networks in the State of Delaware as well as a member of the National League of Cities-National Black Caucus, Local Progress (Housing Steering Committee Member) & Young Elected Officials Network. In her spare time, she is also an Adjunct Professor at University of Delaware’s Horn Entrepreneurship Program teaching Intro to Social Entrepreneurship. Rysheema is on the Board of Directors for Connecting Generations, Conscious Connections Inc., Great Oaks Charter School and Just BE Media. She has participated in many speaking engagements across the area including the BE Expo in Philadelphia and New Politics Service to Politics Conference in Washington, DC.
My Work as a Public Servant
City Council member 2017-2020
- Chair, Community Development & Urban Planning Committee, Member of Health, Aging and Disabilities, and Cable, Video & Telecommunications
- Co-created our 1st ever Healthy Communities Subcommittee
- My Key Involvement in passing legislation for Vacant Properties, Hair Discrimination, allowing Students to register to Vote at their Schools, Revitalization of Eden Park, Sexual Consent Health Education added into curriculums for public schools, Healthy Beverages offered in Restaurants, 76ers Fieldhouse, Real Estate and Housing Federal Funding Allocations, Citywide Comprehensive Plan
- Working tirelessly on housing, local hire/workforce development, license and inspection, planning, technical board land bank activities, economic development growth/entrepreneurship, supporting/connecting non-profits through Council along with $12,000 in grant funding, awarding $18,000 in scholarship funding to college students across the City, attend and support events delivered by the community
- Funding provided to schools/community members to see pivotal historical movies at the IMAX Theaters like Black Panther, Harriet
- Graduation Speaker for elementary, middle and high school students
- Board of Directors for Connecting Generations, Great Oaks Charter School, Just BE Media, Conscious Connections Inc.
- Member of the Wilmington Awards Committee and UDAG Committee (Economic Development Office)
- Local Progress National Housing Steering Committee
- Member of Steering Committee of Young Elected Officers (YEO) Women’s Retreat and Member of YEO
- National League of Cities National Black Caucus- Local Elected Officials (NBC-LEO) Membership